~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

All names on this blog (except for other Bloggers' names) have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals. However, each pseudonym has been chosen with care, and reflects in some way or with some meaning the character/personality of each individual.

~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

"With God, all things are possible."

-------------------------------------

Friday, February 15, 2013

"5 Small Things Friday" No. 72



Go back and read this post for the story behind "Five Small Things Friday".

For this week, here is my list:

1. Sight: Mrs. S.'s Compassionate Joy

2. Hearing:

3. Smell: White Dial Bar Soap

4. Taste: Tear Bread

5. Touch: Making Austin And Ava's Curtains

The stories behind the list:

1. Mom's sister who lives a couple of states away, was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago and recently had a difficult surgery to remove it. We were all praying that she would not need chemo or radiation after the surgery, but that would depend on what stage it was at. Mrs. S., with her big heart and incredible compassion, was as concerned as if she knew my aunt herself. She kept up with the situation through Mom.
When the results came back that the cancer was at stage one, and my aunt would not need chemo, we were so thankful! Wednesday after we'd found out, Mrs. S. asked me at church if they'd heard back yet. When I told her the news, her wonderful pleasant face lit up, and she clasped her hands together in pure joy. From her reaction, you could have thought it was her own sister.

2.

3. We buy the Dial brand of white bar soap for our baths and showers. The other night I was using it and put up my hands to my face, and the smell of it was like the smell of being in the mountains in the winter time. Cool and fresh and clean and lovely. The smell of bright green and fresh snow.

4. Mom has a home-made bread recipe she got from one of my cousins, and in the last couple of weeks we've gotten it out and made several batches of this quick, easy and wonderfully delicious bread. And for me (who don't like to cook) to admit that it's quick and easy, that's saying something! Here's the recipe if you'd like to try it yourself:

Tear Bread

1 1/2 cups warm water
1 package dry yeast
2 tablespoons sugar

Put yeast in a small bowl in warm (not hot) water with sugar. Stir and let set for about 10 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, combine:

1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons oil
3 cups all-purpose flour

When the yeast mixture is dissolved, add it to the mixing bowl.
Mix it well. It will be a soft dough. Grease (or spray with "Pam" or something similar) a cookie sheet or baking pan. Dump and immediately press dough out to desired thickness in the pan, and bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes or until nice and golden. Put a little oil on your hands before handling dough so that they won't stick.

We love wheat bread at our house, so we usually substitute a cup of the all-purpose flour for a cup of wheat flour (2 cups of white and 1 cup of wheat).

Tear you off a piece, cut that thing open with a little steak knife and slide a pat of butter inside... Whew, there's little better!

5. Austin and Ava are continuing to put the touches on their little house to make it into a home. They went shopping for curtains in January and couldn't find what they wanted. So in the store Austin suggested to Ava, 'Why don't we just buy material and ask Kyrie to make us some?' So that's what they did!
I can't describe the wonderful, warm feeling it gave me that they knew they could ask me to do this for them. That's how I want my friends to be! I want them to be able to count on me. I want them to feel comfortable asking me to help them if I can.
I was so honored to be a part of their lives like this! While I measured, cut, pinned, and sewed (and ripped out and redid at one point!), it warmed my heart every time I'd think, "I'm making these curtains for Austin and Ava - and they asked me to!"

No comments: