~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

All names on this blog (except for other Bloggers' names) have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals. However, each pseudonym has been chosen with care, and reflects in some way or with some meaning the character/personality of each individual.

~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

"With God, all things are possible."

-------------------------------------

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

S.O.A.P. Journaling - John 16

My S.O.A.P. Journal entry from this week's mentoring/discipleship session with Joy:

Date: Feb. 13, 2013
Passage: John 16
Title: "Present Sorrow, Future Joy"

Scripture:
"But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart. ... I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. ... A little while, and ye shall not see Me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see Me, because I go to the Father. ... And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you." verses 6, 12, 16, and 22

Observation:
Jesus was getting ready to go to Jerusalem to be crucified, and was preparing His disciples for His departure. Evidently, they were pretty shocked and heartbroken and the thought of Him leaving them, because He speaks in a very comforting and admonishing way to them in this chapter.

Application:
With the recent changes in my life where people I love have left me, these verses touched and comforted me in a very special way. I can empathize with the disciples in verse 6 - sorrow has filled my heart as well, as some of my dearest friends have moved away. I thank the Lord for His kindness in not giving me more than I can bear right now (verse 12), and I am filled with hope and gladness and anticipation at the promises of verses 16 and 22. What a time to look forward to - when joy is here to stay!

Prayer:
"Help me to remember You are always with me and therefore I will never be alone or friendless. Help me to keep my eyes fixed on that future joy, instead of this present sorrow."

No comments: