~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

All names on this blog (except for other Bloggers' names) have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals. However, each pseudonym has been chosen with care, and reflects in some way or with some meaning the character/personality of each individual.

~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

"With God, all things are possible."

-------------------------------------

Friday, October 7, 2011

"5 Small Things Friday" No. 1



This is something new I want to start. You see these weekly things on so many blogs, like "Hello Monday" or "Terrific Tuesday" where you post on a specific topic on a specific day of the week, then link up if you've done it.

I don't this to be quite like that, but maybe a little similar. For one thing, if you decide to join in, I don't want you to link back to this blog. I am not one of those bloggers who blogs for an audience. If people stumble across my blog, fine, and I hope they get something good from it. But I keep this journal of sorts for myself. I don't want alot of 'publicity'.

Also, if you do decide to do this with me, I don't want you to feel pressured to keep it up. If you miss a week, that's okay! If your schedule is so busy that you've got to drop it, I hope it was a blessing to you during the time you participated!

And third, even people without blogs can join in if they'd like.

Here is the idea behind this idea, and also the 'rules':

The idea behind the idea is to help me notice the little things in life. The amazing mundane details that make existence enjoyable. Those little things we tend to not notice until they are gone.

In the last year or so, the importance of not taking for granted these special things has been pressed upon me in many different and unique ways, probably more than at any other time in my life. Or maybe I'm just starting to notice more than at any other time. I've found myself focusing on, noticing, and really appreciating these things. Small things. Like the laughter of a friend. A child's trusting eyes. The natural glitter in a flower petal (I'm serious! Look for it - it's there!). The smell of the earth after a rain. Or the rough texture of a concrete floor under bare feet.

I want to capture these moments. These memories. I want to learn to be even more grateful for them. And I want to notice more.

So here is the challenge. For each sense God has given us - Sight, Hearing, Smell, Taste, and Touch - I'm going to record one 'Small Thing' I noticed in the past week. From Friday to Thursday, and then post my list on Friday. You're welcome to join me!

1. If you choose to post on your blog, you're welcome to use my image.
2. Please do not link back to this blog, but say you got the idea from a fellow blogger.
3. I'd love it if you left a comment with a link to your post, so I can see what 'Small Things' you're noticing!
4. If you want to post pictures or the story behind the 'Small Things' you noticed, that's fine too. I will probably be doing that off and on, depending on how much time I have to post.
5. If you don't have a blog, you can still do this! And, once again, I'd love for you to comment here on the Friday post for that week, and let me read what your list is!

For this week, here is my list:

1. Sight: A friend's smile.

2. Hearing: A child memorizing a Bible verse.

3. Smell: Clean towels.

4. Taste: A garden salad.

5. Touch: My cat 'hugging' me.


The stories behind the list:

1. I want to do a post on the whole story, but in a nutshell, the college kids hosted a game night this past Sunday night after services for the Junior High and High School kids who came to church. The whole idea is to build relationships and hopefully influence the younger ones in Godly ways. We're hoping to branch it out more too, and that these kids will bring their friends. If you want to come to the game night, you've got to come to church too.
Anyway, we played this great new game (well, new to me) called 'Spoons', and it was a blast! It was good to see the smiles.

2. I usually don't work the after-school program on Thursdays, but the lady that does, had worked for me Friday so I could go with my family to see Courageous. She had to go somewhere yesterday, so we just traded days.
The kids have got to do their homework before they can play, and Scripture memorization is part of it. One of the little girls wanted me to listen to her work on her verse.

3. The other night after we'd washed laundry, we had to get out clean towels for showers. I just shoved my nose into one, and breathed deep. Mmmmmmmm!

4. The other day for my lunch, Trissy fixed me a salad to take to school. I love salads, and she'd put lots of good stuff in it - lettuce of course, and carrots, grated cheese, tomatoes, boiled eggs, and topped with Ranch dressing! Wow.

5. I don't know if I've ever told about Winky, a.k.a. "The One-Eyed Wink". My kitten I rescued from the parking lot after work one night last winter. He only has one eye. We think he was just born that way, because there were no scars. He is so loving. Almost like he realizes how indebted he is to us :) ! He loves to come up when we're out in the yard, and raise up on his back legs, and 'hug' our legs with his front ones.


Even if you don't keep a list, take the time to notice the 'Small Things' that make up life.

1 comment:

your cuz Jewel said...

Hey cuz, "super good" post!! I really LOVED it!!! It was a blessing!
I love to do the same thing, I'll try to comment on here mine, if that is ok,if I cant always write, just know I'm thinkin' of you, and I'll try to keep this in mind.
Love ya!!