~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

All names on this blog (except for other Bloggers' names) have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals. However, each pseudonym has been chosen with care, and reflects in some way or with some meaning the character/personality of each individual.

~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

"With God, all things are possible."

-------------------------------------

Friday, February 3, 2012

"5 Small Things Friday" No. 18



Go back and read this post for the story behind "Five Small Things Friday".

For this week, here is my list:

1. Sight: Abigail Laughing

2. Hearing: Bro. Blake Laughing

3. Smell: Fish Frying

4. Taste: Hamburger

5. Touch: Abigail Putting My Bracelet Back On

The stories behind the list:

1. Abigail is my corny joke buddy. Just about every Wednesday night, she has another silly joke for me. She says I'm the only one who tries to guess them or figure them out - most people just say, "Ok, tell me." She'll say, "Hey Kyrie, what do you call a cow without legs?" (Ground beef.) Or, "What do you call four bullfighters in quicksand?" (Quatro sinko.) Or other stuff like that. I love it :) . So at some point this week, Trissy came up with one. I thought it was pretty good, and I had to share it with Abigail Wednesday night. "What do you call a jumping air conditioner?" She couldn't get it. "Hyper ventilation!" She kindof chuckled, but looked like she really didn't get it. I think she was laughing more at me laughing than at the joke! But after about five minutes, she started laughing so hard she was doubling over! "I get it now!"
Abigail's so pretty anyway, but when she laughs it just lights up her whole face!

2. Every year Victory Rd. hosts a fish fry to raise money for the year's mission trips and such. It's pretty much an all-day thing, and any of the young people that come and help work, get a percentage of the earnings put into their mission trip account at the church. I usually try to be there on Fish Fry day.
Bro. Blake was there for a little while to drop off his daughter Joy, who was going to be working it, and chat for a few minutes. At one point something struck him funny and he started laughing like it was the funniest thing he'd ever encountered. I love it when Bro. Blake laughs. He's 6 feet, 7 inches tall - and when he laughs, it's such a great big, vibrating, powerful, happy sound! It seems to shake him from the inside out, and if you're around, even if you don't know what's going on or what the joke is, it makes you smile too.

3. The smell of fish frying on Fish Fry day is one-of-a-kind. The men of Victory Rd. who always cook, are the best - they know what they are doing when it comes to cooking, and you always know their fish is going to be something! When Trissy and I were walking up to the fellowship building (where the fish fries always are) at the beginning of the day, we could smell it.

4.

5. Coming back from Strength To Stand, we stopped to eat at this place called "Shake and Bake" - an old-fashioned ice cream and hamburger place (it was good too!). We were standing in line, and I was a little behind Abigail in another line on her right. She turned and noticed me, and as she stepped over, she held out a narrow little rainbow-striped rubber bracelet and said, "Kyrie - a cool bracelet for you." It had a little connection thing she attached around my wrist. It was one of the ones like the kids had gotten at the arcade-type place the day before when Law had won the X-Box Kinect.
"For me?!" I said, rising to the occasion and trying to match her mannerism and tone of voice. "I'm so special!"
She kindof smiled and stepped back in line, and I was left wondering why she had given it to me. There were several of the younger girls who were her friends, who she might have given it to. But, I guess like Piper's white carnation, I might not ever find out. She had some reason, and I treasure this cheap little bracelet as a reminder of the precious girl who gave it to me and her sweet spirit and friendship.
Wednesday evening, getting to the church after work, I was in a hurry and got the bracelet caught on something in my car. Before I realized it, it had pulled loose the connection and dropped out into the parking lot. I was in the building before I realized it.
I went back and got it, then found Abigail and after chatting for a minute, told her my bracelet came off and asked if she'd put it back on for me. She seemed half puzzled, half pleased, but she connected it again for me :) .

No comments: