~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

All names on this blog (except for other Bloggers' names) have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals. However, each pseudonym has been chosen with care, and reflects in some way or with some meaning the character/personality of each individual.

~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

"With God, all things are possible."

-------------------------------------

Friday, February 10, 2012

"5 Small Things Friday" No. 19



Go back and read this post for the story behind "Five Small Things Friday".

For this week, here is my list:

1. Sight: Mocking Bird On The Burning Barrel

2. Hearing: Cardinal Chirping

3. Smell: Meatballs Frying

4. Taste: Fried Oreos

5. Touch: Hug From Mrs. Renae's Youngest Daughter

The stories behind the list:

1. My bedroom window looks out on our garden spot at the end of the house, and we have a big 50-gallon metal barrel sitting at the edge of the garden that we burn papers in (like old checks, bank statements, addresses, etc. - stuff with personal information on it). I was working at my desk the other day, and looked out my window and noticed a mocking bird perched on the edge of that barrel. I don't know what it was about that picture - maybe it was the sun and lighting, maybe it was the fact that a little lively thing had fearlessly chosen the edge of a place of 'destruction' of sorts as a place to rest - I don't know, but that picture gave me a feeling of happiness and encouragement.

2. I was outside to feed the chickens one day this week and noticed the cheerful sound of a redbird's pert little "Chip! Chip! Chip!" in one of Dad's winter-bare Poplar trees.

3. Mom made Swedish Meatballs and gravy this week. The smell of those meatballs frying has got to be one of the best ever.

4. In the months that have five Sundays, on the 5th Sunday Victory Rd. has morning services, a potluck lunch at the church, then afternoon singing, omitting the evening service. Since it's a potluck lunch, you never know what there's going to be. This Sunday, someone had brought fried Oreos. Now, I know that sounds gross (and they are terribly unhealthy - I mean, fried Oreos. Sounds like a recipe for a heart attack!), but don't knock them 'til you've tried them. Our college friends at church talk about them often, and finally once got me to try one. I've been hooked ever since (though I rarely eat them, they are so unhealthy). Anyway, when a bunch of us were cleaning up after lunch, I found those fried Oreos. I hadn't known that anyone had brought some and, even though they weren't hot anymore, 'couldn't resist' one. I discovered that fried Oreos are very close to being just as good cold as they are hot!

5. Thursday morning at breakfast, as the group of students was waiting for 7:00 (and the stragglers that come in either at 7:00 on the dot, or late) to line up and have prayer so we could start, suddenly from half-way across the room, Mrs. Renae's youngest daughter called, "Miss Kyrie!!" and came running across and threw her arms around my waist. She's always been friendly (she's the type of kid who never meets a stranger), but I've never known her to be that excited to see me! It made my day a little brighter :) .

No comments: