~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

All names on this blog (except for other Bloggers' names) have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals. However, each pseudonym has been chosen with care, and reflects in some way or with some meaning the character/personality of each individual.

~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

"With God, all things are possible."

-------------------------------------

Friday, April 27, 2012

"5 Small Things Friday" No. 30



Go back and read this post for the story behind "Five Small Things Friday".

For this week, here is my list:

1. Sight: Simon And Law Coming Back From Kayaking

2. Hearing: Joy Chatting With Me

3. Smell: Mom's Hair Stuff

4. Taste: A Hot Grilled-cheese Sandwich And A Home-made Muffin

5. Touch: Wednesday Night's Game

The stories behind the list:

1. After I'd left work Thursday afternoon, the sun was behind me and in the faces of those I was passing as I turned off the main road through town onto the one leading out of town, back to our 'neck of the woods'. There was a little string of vehicles waiting to turn back into town at the stop sign. I noticed a gold suburban-like vehicle with a green kayak and a red kayak strapped to the top, and looked down at people inside. It was Simon and Law in Law's new vehicle (well, new to him - it's not new new), heading home at the end of the afternoon. The sun was in their faces, their green eyes were shining, and Law's right hand was draped over the steering wheel, his head bobbing in time to music as his chin rested in his other hand, propped up by his elbow in the open window. I waved hard as I passed, but they were lost in their own little world. That picture though, was such a blessing. Even if I hadn't known those boys, I would have loved it. They looked so carefree and youthful and wholesome and old-fashioned - two youths on their way home from an afternoon jaunt, enjoying the carefree days of summer.

2. Joy, Aron and Simon's younger sister, Bro. Blake's daugher, comes out frequently to visit and keep me company at after-school. Bro. Blake's wife is a teacher there and sometimes stays over for a while to do work, and though Joy's more than ten years younger than me she is so sweet and funny and I really enjoy having someone more mature than the little kids alone to talk to :D . Monday she stayed longer than usual and I really enjoyed our visit. She kindof rambled about random stuff, but it was so soothing to hear her cheerful young voice and clever comments. She even taught us (me, and the younger kids sitting around listening to our chat) a song a little brother and sister couple from church had made up. It was really cute and clever! Here are the words, with the verses sung to the first part of the tune of "The Brave Old Duke Of York" - I guess they made up the chorus' tune:

Verse 1:
I woke up Saturday morning,
I looked up on the wall -
The 'skeeters and the bedbugs
Were playin' a game of ball.

Verse 2:
The score was six to nothin' -
The 'skeeters were ahead -
The bedbugs hit a homerun,
and knocked me out of bed!

I'm singin'

Chorus:
Eeny-meeny and a
Miny-mo.
Catch a wiffle-waffle
By it's toe.
And if he hollers (hollers, hollers),
Let him go,
With an
Eeny-meeny, an' a
Miny-mo!"

3. Mom has this hair product that she uses on her hair after she washes it. It smells just like the community center where we used to have our meetings when Trissy and I were in 4-H. We spent hours in that building with our 4-H friends, learning so much good stuff. Don't think I'll ever forget that particular scent. Brings back so many wonderful memories every time Mom does her hair :) !

4. If you know me well or have been reading this blog long, you know I love random, snacky suppers. Friday night Trissy and I went up to visit The Grandparents for supper and to spend the evening. Mom was gone on a two-day ladies' retreat with a group from the church, and Dad was studying. Trissy had the idea of taking some muffins out of the freezer, and making grilled-cheese sandwiches for supper. We all really enjoyed it. The Grandmother kept going on and on about how tasty it was - and boy could I agree!

5. After class Wednesday night, we usually have some type of group game to close out the evening. This past Wednesday we played a really fun one, and I decided to use it as my 'Touch' thing for this week.
The group puts their chairs in a circle, with one person standing in the middle, and no chair for them in the circle. The person in the middle is holding a small object like a button or a bottle cap. They must take the hand of someone from the circle and begin leading them around, still inside the circle. If it's a girl, she takes a boy; if it's a boy, he takes a girl. The person chosen reaches out and takes someone else, they take someone else, and so on, until there is a little boy-girl-boy-girl 'train' walking around inside the circle of chairs. This can go on for as long as the leader wants, even until everyone is picked and the chairs are empty. The thing is, at some point they drop their little object (we played with a white bottle cap on light-colored carpet). The first person to notice the leader has dropped their bottle cap lets go and dives for a chair in the circle. When that happens, it becomes a mad race to get to a chair. Remember, there is one less chair than people, so the person left without a chair is the leader for the next round.
It might sound kindof goofy, but it's alot of fun - not to mention great exercise!

No comments: