~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

All names on this blog (except for other Bloggers' names) have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals. However, each pseudonym has been chosen with care, and reflects in some way or with some meaning the character/personality of each individual.

~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

"With God, all things are possible."

-------------------------------------

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

S.O.A.P. Journaling - Matthew 25:32-40

Date: April 18, 2012
Passage: Matthew 25:32-40

Scripture:
"For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me." Matthew 25:35 and 36

Observation:
Jesus is teaching His disciples on the Mount of Olives. Their first question was about signs that the end of the world was near. After discussing that specific point, Jesus just kept on going, still on the same subject, but pointing out alot more of their responsibilities in relation to that event.
Their response is not recorded, but through other passages, it is evident they took much of what He said and did their best to fulfill the duties He had commissioned them with. Scripture (especially the book of Acts) is full of their acts of kindness toward the seeking, compassion on the hurting, and their provision for each other and other believers' needs.
The author (Matthew) seems to simply be trying to get down on paper the things Jesus said, so that others may have His words. It strikes me as interesting how detailed He was in this particular passage. Jesus listed several area in which Christians are to be compassionate towards others, and Matthew is careful to record even what seems to be the tone Jesus used in stressing the importance of this lifestyle of mercy. I can almost hear the conversation and the gentle urgency in His voice.

Application:
Perhaps this admonition from Christ was preparing the disciples for the idea that salvation would be offered to the Gentiles. The Jews were not friends with Gentiles, and initially, the fact that they too were to have a part of this great gift from God, must have been a very hard pill to swallow. Later though, many of the disciples were used greatly in spreading the Word of God to the non-Jews. Perhaps that's not the main application, but it certainly seems to be a logical one in this context.
So who are the people around me that need my help, but that I am prone to look down my nose at? Who have I snubbed in the past, thereby missing an opportunity to fulfill the verses above? Who do I have trouble with now, that I need to take a second look at, considering how I may be used to help them? How will this affect how I care for all people as my life progresses?
These verses seem to classify as Instruction.
"I will..." work towards a life where my eyes are open to opportunities to help 'the least of these His brethren', feeding the hungry, satisfying the thirsty, showing hospitality to outsiders, clothing those who have little, showing concern for the sick, and visiting those in prison.

Prayer:
"Help me to be tender towards those who need Your love shown to them. Help me be able to show it."

No comments: