~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

All names on this blog (except for other Bloggers' names) have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals. However, each pseudonym has been chosen with care, and reflects in some way or with some meaning the character/personality of each individual.

~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

"With God, all things are possible."

-------------------------------------

Friday, December 21, 2012

"5 Small Things Friday" No. 64



Go back and read this post for the story behind "Five Small Things Friday".

For this week, here is my list:

1. Sight: My Half-Card Matching Lindy's

2. Hearing: The Grandmother Playing The Piano

3. Smell: Earwarmer

4. Taste: Chicken Salad

5. Touch: Nicole Sticking A Bow In My Hair 

The stories behind the list:

1. At a church Christmas party Tuesday night, at the end of the evening, a basket was passed around full of Christmas cards cut in half. Each person took half a card, and when the basket was empty, everyone went around looking for the person who had the other half of their card. That would be your 'Prayer Partner' for the coming year. My half matched Lindy's, and we had a great conversation sharing prayer requests, needs, concerns, and blessings we could pray for each other about.

2. I was at The Grandparents' house yesterday and The Grandmother went into the living room and started playing the piano that had belonged to her mother. She was playing "Trust and Obey", probably from memory, and I stopped to appreciate her old-school style and the great words of the song. It's a privilege I won't have forever.

3. Months ago, Piper asked me to teach her to crochet and to knit. Long story short, we never could seem to work out our schedules so that we could get together and do that, so she began gathering knowledge from her grandmother and on her own, and basically taught herself to crochet. She is getting more and more creative with her skills, and I have been so proud of her determination and persistence. One Wednesday night, she had on a beautiful cranberry-colored earwarmer with a white snowflake embroidered on it. I noticed and mentally admired it at a distance, but when I got close to her and saw it was crochet, I realized she must have made it herself! I complemented her on it, and she said Joy was going to give her some yarn to make her one. I asked if I brought her yarn, would she make me one, and she said yes of course! So the next Sunday I took her some, and this past Wednesday she brought it to me. Sweet Piper! It's soft blue cotton thread, crocheted well - firm sturdy stitches, but loose enough to be limber and comfortable. I put it to my face, savoring the softness, and realized it smelled like Piper from being near her - a fresh, clean smell, like a spring breeze, rich with warmth and wildflowers.

4. One of the church ladies took chicken salad sandwiches to the Christmas party Tuesday night. I love chicken salad anyway, but that was some of the best I've ever had!

5. At the same Christmas party, Nicole (one of the college girls - I don't think I've ever mentioned her here), after the gift exchange, found a bow off a package and teasingly stuck it in my hair.
Nicole has always sort of seemed like her own person - not really a 'loner', but not really mixing alot with the rest of the college group. She's a mix of country and classy, sweet and saucy, aloof and friendly, and just 'Nicole'! There's really no other way to describe her - you'd just have to know her! She went to Trinidad in 2011 on the mission trip Trissy and I went on, and the three of us became pretty close on that trip. We've had a special friendship ever since.

No comments: