~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

All names on this blog (except for other Bloggers' names) have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals. However, each pseudonym has been chosen with care, and reflects in some way or with some meaning the character/personality of each individual.

~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

"With God, all things are possible."

-------------------------------------

Monday, October 8, 2012

Birthday Gift - Birthday Weight

On my birthday recently, Mrs. S., Abigail, and Piper came over for a couple of hours. They'd asked the Sunday before if they could, and I'd so been looking forward to it!

A polite knock sounded at the front door, and Trissy, though she was practically there, stepped back and motioned for me to get it.
I swung the door wide, and there stood the three S. ladies: Mrs. S. on the top step at the door, Piper on a step below her - holding a plate of chocolate chip cookies and a small brown paper bag tied with beige ribbon - and Abigail with a red paper sign and a bulging black garbage bag standing in the grass at the bottom of the steps. As the door opened, they all called, "Happy Birthday!!", Piper waving and Abigail holding up the red paper sign with my name on it.

I invited them in, giving and receiving hugs as they filed by into the warm house.
They'd made the cookies, and Piper stressed that I was not to return the plate - it was for me too :) . It's a lovely ceramic fall plate, with a simple painted design of a red maple leaf, a yellow oak leaf, and a cluster of orange pecan leaves, and the word, "Thankful" in gold across the center. They know me so well.



The small brown paper bag was a late birthday present for Trissy - a nice paperweight with a redbird on it, and a lovely little round pop-open pocket mirror that has a colorful and intricate mandala design on the lid.

The red paper sign was designed and made by Abigail, using red paper, navy paper, and white star stickers. She had doodled my name in marker in the center, framed it with popsicle sticks marker-colored dark blue, and hung it with a red white and blue ribbon. On the back she wrote me a *letter I will always treasure. So perfect - handmade and patriotic.

The big garbage bag had me quite curious. Abigail lifted it easily over the back of the couch as Mrs. S. explained that it was an idea they'd seen online - blow up the number of balloons as birthday years, and put a note to the birthday person in each balloon. They've got to pop the balloons to get the notes. What a meaningful gift!

We all sat on the couch or in the chairs of the living room. Mom and Mrs. S. chatted as I began taking balloons out of the bag. I winced as I popped each one with a pearl-headed corsage pin Mom found me, and silently read the notes inside.

There were notes from Julia, Julia's mom, Autumn, Henley, Joy, Mr. S., Mrs. S., and many from Abigail and Piper - one note for each year of my life. Piper said Archer had wanted to write one also, but just forgot and then didn't have time before leaving for work that morning. They had wanted to get alot more people in the church to write some of them, but had run out of time and opportunities.

Each note warmed my heart, and sobered my conscience. Some showed insight into myself that I didn't know other people had noticed. All said something about my life and character and how it had touched others.

What a gift.
What a weight.

Oh how I desire these things to be true!! As I took out each bit of colored paper and read each message of love and affirmation, what a monumental responsibility I felt and realized that I have that I must live up to! How I pray that God would help me be worthy of the love and respect of these dear dear friends. May He give me grace to never let them down, and wisdom to be a friend and influence that would always point them to Him.


*Note: I decided to record here the letter from Abigail on the back of the sign she made me. Words of love from a teen-age heart. Such an encouragement. Such a challenge. Such a treasure. I want to always remember.

"Happy birthday Kyrie!!!
I hope this is the BEST birthday EVER!! You are so special to my family and I! I love how you always have a smile on your face, and how you bring smiles to everyone elses face! =)
Everything you do, I see Jesus in it! You make me want to be a better person!
Thank you for always being there for me, and I will always be there for you! <3
Love you lots and lots <3
Your friend,
Abigail S."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CanNOT believe I forgot your birthday... I don't even remember what we were doing that day!!! So sorry!!! It sounds like you had a great one. We would love to chat with you anytime you get a chance.

Love ya,
Jaylyn

Anonymous said...


Oh Kyrie! How I love you!
The Lord has given you such a gift for writing. I haven't been on here in awhile, but when I read here, it usually gives me warm feelings. :) You have a way with describing what I know and have experienced and enjoy. I can agree with the Magnolia Spice experience. It IS so nice.
~Trissy :)