~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

All names on this blog (except for other Bloggers' names) have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals. However, each pseudonym has been chosen with care, and reflects in some way or with some meaning the character/personality of each individual.

~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

"With God, all things are possible."

-------------------------------------

Friday, November 26, 2010

An Old-Fasioned Christmas

Grace at Grace's Garden Walk is hosting an event she's calling "An Old-Fashioned Christmas".
It seems to me that Christmas is becoming more and more comercialized, materialistic, and impersonal with each year that passes. Christmas is about Christ - first and foremost - and also about celebrating the blessings of friends and family. It's about thanking the Lord for the ultimate Gift - His Son Jesus. It's about making memories, about spending quality time with those we love. Yes, for many people, it's about the gifts. About the pressure. For the stores, it's the biggest money-maker of the year. But that is so wrong.

Why do we really give gifts at Christmastime? Why do we drink hot chocolate and bake special goodies; hang festive decorations; throw celebrations and parties?
Well, it should be because we've been given so much, we want to share the blessings; because we want to put ourselves into the task of warming hearts and sweetening memories; because we have something to celebrate; because it is more blessed to give than to receive.

Anyone that knows me very well, knows this is one of my 'passions' - to bring meaning back into Christmas. They also know, I love to give gifts - and I love to include a little of myself with each one. One of the best ways to accomplish all three? - well for me, hand-made gifts that begin in the heart. That could include making decorations (and then using them!), helping a friend with a project, playing a game with a little cousin or a grandfather, sending a note, baking and giving goodies, cleaning house for someone who's having trouble juggling life, and yes, making and giving presents!

I have really been looking forward to Grace's event. With my college schedule, I'm not sure if I will be able to participate to quite the extent I'd like, but I'm going to try! Around here, my family strives to make every Christmas an 'Old-Fashioned' Christmas.

Care to join us?

No comments: