~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

All names on this blog (except for other Bloggers' names) have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals. However, each pseudonym has been chosen with care, and reflects in some way or with some meaning the character/personality of each individual.

~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

"With God, all things are possible."

-------------------------------------

Friday, January 18, 2013

"5 Small Things Friday" No. 68



Go back and read this post for the story behind "Five Small Things Friday".

For this week, here is my list:

1. Sight: Ps. 111:1-4

2. Hearing: Austin's Charge

3. Smell: Campground Cafeteria

4. Taste: Taco Soup

5. Touch: Hug From Bro. Mike

The stories behind the list:

1. At work at the restaurant Friday, during a slow bit I pulled out my New Testament. I don't remember why I was reading this particular chapter, but I remember these first four verses seemed to sing out at me.

"Praise ye the Lord. I will praise the Lord with my whole heart, in the assembly of the upright, and in the congregation.
The works of the Lord are great, sought out of all them that have pleasure therein.
His work is honourable and glorious: and His righteousness endureth for ever.
He hath made His wonderful works to be remembered: the Lord is gracious and full of compassion."

2. "Let's play our hearts out. This is for Bro. Mike and for Archer."
Go to this post for more of this story's details.

3. I'm so thankful for my sense of smell. As I've grown up, I've realized that it's responsible for probably half of my memories. I'll catch a whiff of some unknown scent, and instantly it will take me back to a time, place, person, or memory of my past. I hadn't even noticed the smell then, but it was stored in my memory and the association remains.
During this past week-end retreat where Victory Rd.'s youth music group played (for more of the story, see this post), we stayed at a campground that I'd been to more than a decade ago for church camp. When I stepped into that cafeteria building Friday evening, my first thought was, "It smells just the same." And I breathed deep.

4. I love. Love. LOVE taco soup. Wednesday night at church they had it for supper - hot and delicious, with shredded cheese and Frito corn chips liberally added to the top. Guess what I had for my supper that night?

5. Wednesday was Bro. Mike's family's last night in the States before heading to the mission field. After church, and after everyone else had said their good-byes, Trissy and I walked over to their house, next door to Victory Rd.'s gym, and we stayed and visited a little longer - putting off the parting as long as we could. I didn't let myself think about this being the last time I would be in their house - the new youth pastor's family would be moving into it in a few weeks - or that these conversations and hugs would be the last ones for years. I just spent my energy savoring it, to be able to look back on later.

No comments: