~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

All names on this blog (except for other Bloggers' names) have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals. However, each pseudonym has been chosen with care, and reflects in some way or with some meaning the character/personality of each individual.

~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

"With God, all things are possible."

-------------------------------------

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Rest

For the past several weeks, some things have been different at the church. The week before we left for Chicago (I am working on a post telling about our Chicago mission trip), Justice taught the Sunday School class instead of Bro. Dennis. I thought I'd heard he was sick, so I didn't really think anything about it. I asked Austin where Bro. Dennis was and he replied, "He's not here." He had a teasing expression on his face, but there was a strange look in his eyes.
I raised my eyebrows and asked, 'Sooo, should I just not ask?'
He pressed his lips together and nodded. "Yeah..."
So I let it go and didn't think any more about it. Others led the music service also, instead of the usual trio (Bro. Dennis, Mrs. Renae, and another man). From the choir, I saw Bro. Dennis come in late and sit in the balcony. He looked like he felt terrible, but I thought that it was honorable of him to be at church anyway.
The next week of course we were in Chicago, and the next week in Sunday School there was a definite something strange in the air. The Sunday School superintendent led our class, and in his closing remarks he said something about continuing the series in the coming weeks.
This time, I was afraid to ask.
The superintendent has not taught anymore; it turns out Justice has been asked to teach the class, and though he's been doing a great job, it just has not been the same without Bro. Dennis. There has been no choir practice these weeks, and the music has continued to be led by others, usually Austin or Aron. Bro. Dennis and Mrs. Carrie and Maxwell have continued coming in to sit in the balcony, and I have not been able to find them to talk to them after church. Everything is so strange and our family is concerned.

Last Wednesday night after class (the fourth of July), we had a time of fellowship and ice cream after church in the fellowship hall. Bro. Dennis was there and Trissy told him we'd been missing him in Sunday School. I added, "We've been missing you everywhere!"
His face showed complete agreement as he answered, "I've been missing y'all too - alot! Alot!" but he didn't offer an explanation. He seemed just like the same ol' Bro. Dennis, moving a hundred miles an hour, laughing and enjoying life. Evidently the situation, whatever it is, is beyond his control.

Then there's Mrs. Renae's family. For some time I have wondered if something was going on with them. Mrs. Renae just hasn't seemed to be her usual bubbly, joy-filled, vivacious self. She seemed kindof subdued or sad, except when she was singing. And when the trio stopped leading the music on Sunday morning, looking out at her and her family in the crowd, they seemed so solemn. Their youngest daughter is just like Mrs. Renae, happy, energetic, and never meets a stranger, whereas Lela is more like her dad, cheerful, but calm and sensible. Seeing them looking so discouraged gave me such a feeling of concern that it was hard to keep a smiling face while in the choir.
Last Sunday, and last night (Wednesday night class), none of them were there at all. I hoped maybe they were on vacation. I still hope it.
But after class last night, I heard Justice and Noel talking solemnly with someone else, and I think I heard Justice say he'd texted Mrs. Renae and asked if they were going to be there for class, and she'd responded that they'd decided they needed to move on - to find another place to serve, meaning, another church.

It was like a bomb.

Mrs. Renae's family is an integral part of Victory Rd. Mrs. Renae has thrown her almost inexhaustible energy into most of the ministries, projects, undertakings, and jobs the church has been involved in. The girls are extremely active in their classes. Mrs. Renae's husband recently accepted Christ and was baptized after years of attending, and has 'grown' spiritually at such a rate that it has amazed and blessed all who've prayed for him for so many years. They could not be leaving. I had to have misunderstood.

Yet, it made sense, in a strange, mixed-up way.

While I was overhearing that discouraging conversation, Trissy was having a very encouraging one with Randy. It seems that, since we've gotten back from Chicago, he has been 'stretching' himself and growing by leaps and bounds in his courage, and making himself get out of his 'comfort zone'. He really was influenced by the pastor of the church we went up there to help, who had been a very shy person himself when he was younger, but who now is quite outgoing, and an undeniable leader. Randy told Trissy that he hopes to learn enough to be able to lead the mission trip to Chicago next year, that he hopes to go up there himself as an intern before that, and that to earn the money he will need for that undertaking, he has contacted one of the church men (who also went on the trip) with the possibility of working in his hamburger place. He has contacted one of the leaders of a weekend Christian youth outreach in town about helping them. When they told him all they really needed were preachers to preach on Saturday nights, he went to ask Bro. Mike about how to get some sermons put together. He also has an unsaved friend in another state he feels like the Lord wants him to try to go to and lead him to Christ. And all this from a young man who, though always polite, seldom said more than a dozen words to anyone at one time, and never initiated conversations!

Trissy was overflowing with excitement on our way back to the house, rejoicing to see how God is working in Randy's life. I had a hard time keeping my mind out of a gloomy reverie, yet was so thankful for this happy news and the fact that the Lord will win, no matter how hard the devil tries to tear His plans and people apart.

I didn't tell Trissy what I'd overheard.

When we got back to the house, I sat down to think, to try to slow my flying, churning, writhing thoughts, and to talk with the only One Whose company could encourage me, Whose advice could calm me, and Who had the situation in His hand.
Perspective. That's what I needed. Before I allowed a state of panic or near-despair to take over, I had to look at this with the right perspective.

Yes, if Mrs. Renae's family left, Victory Rd. would not be the same. Not only would it not be the same, but - with this 'pillar family' gone - it would be radically different.
Yet, even if they leave, and things are never the same, the whole Victory Rd. family will one day be all together again, with no problems to spoil the fellowship, and no human imperfections and sins to taint our purest worship of the One Who made our joy. And who knows? The Lord does have everything in His control; maybe He will see fit to mend whatever is causing the difficulty, and they will stay.

The Lord brought a beautiful verse to my mind, and I before I went to bed, I turned to my computer and wrote:
"Life is full of ups and downs. Seems like great victories come hand-in-hand with great disappointments. Praise God He stays the same!"
"The only One Who matters has everything just how He wants it. He is in total control; I have peace and can rest."

"I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, Lord, only makest me (and all those I love) dwell in safety." Psalms 4:8 (words in italics added)

No comments: