~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

All names on this blog (except for other Bloggers' names) have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals. However, each pseudonym has been chosen with care, and reflects in some way or with some meaning the character/personality of each individual.

~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

"With God, all things are possible."

-------------------------------------

Thursday, April 28, 2011

When Words Hurt

Have you ever been hurt by someone you love? Has a sharp word, an unkind remark, or a thoughtless come-back cut you deeply and left you wondering what to say or how to respond? I'm sure it has. I think it has happened to everyone at some point in their life. I know it's happened to me.

There are some people in my life who I love very much. We can have great times together - fun, fellowship, idea-sharing, games, discussion, movie-watching, you name it.
Yet, sometimes, it seems it's all a front - the goodnatured-ribbing has an ugly counterpart of brutal, biting mockery; the other side of the thoughtful discussion can be a bitter contest of wills and the conviction that "my way, my opinion is the right one"; the movie topic inspires stubborn argument over what is appropriate as far as content. At times, it seems that, really, they can't stand me, and since they are forced to share my company, they might as well make me as miserable as possible.

I know I am very strong-willed, and if I feel I am in the right, I am not going to back down until presented with logical arguments. I know I have a tendency to blurt out my opinion at times.
Yet, sometimes it seems that these people go out of their way to hurt me. I ask a simple question, with no other motive than curiousity, and my head is bit off for my thoughtless arrogance! I'm doing a job, and I am calmly ignored, stepped in front of, and the job taken directly out of my hands with an "I am qualified to accomplish this" attitude. Or I am drawn into a conversation where I am led to believe my opinion is being sought, and then sit in speechless hurt while I am ripped to shreds.

What should be my reaction in these circumstances? I know what it should be.
I should calmly turn the other cheek. Be respectful. Walk away. Pretend they were never unkind, and treat them just as if they were never unkind, as if I had no reason not to love them completely.

But it's hard. OH so hard! I am a bold soul, and yet I shrink from being on "the bad side" of anyone. To have a living thing displeased with me - for whatever the reason, whether it really is my fault, or whether I am totally innocent - is one of the horrors of my soul. It's worse when I'm innocent, for then I cannot in good conscience appologize - I've done nothing wrong! If I was in the wrong, I can at least try to fix it by an appology. But it's dreadfully hard either way. And when it's someone I love - someone close to me - the pain becomes almost unbearable.

There is no 'solution', only to beg for the Lord's mercy to help me react, or not, in a way that would bring Him no blame.

1 comment:

Cora Beth said...

I can very much relate with what you are saying in this post, Kyrie! It sounds like we are a lot alike! I feel SO bad if someone is displeased with me and just want to cry. However, if I'm doing what is right, there is no reason to feel so and it helps then to think of God being pleased with my actions even if the world is not! :)

Blessings on your life as you follow the Lord. May He help you to turn the other cheek at the right times and yet to stand up for what is right....

Sweet dreams. :)
~Cora