~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

All names on this blog (except for other Bloggers' names) have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals. However, each pseudonym has been chosen with care, and reflects in some way or with some meaning the character/personality of each individual.

~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

"With God, all things are possible."

-------------------------------------

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Large and Small: Chickens!

Hello all! Just a quick post on: Chickens!

My instructor at the college (the one I've asked you to pray for) knows we have chickens, and like farm life and all that. She knew another girl at the college who had a couple of roosters she was needing to get rid of, and Mrs. H (my instructor) asked me if we wanted one. Dad and Mom said we could take one, even though we've got a rooster, but we have plenty of space since our chicken population has been declining over the past couple of years, and besides, the rooster we have has pretty much NO dominating spirit whatsoever, even over the hens! So anyway, here is our new little rooster! :



See the feathers on his legs? He's a Silky and Mrs. H said feathers on the legs, and a sort of silky down instead of feathers are trademarks of Silkies. Uncle David and his family were down visiting when I brought him home, and the two cousins helped us name him: Brainerd. Because, according to them, his comb looks like a brain, and his "brain" makes him look like a nerd, and also Brainerd was the name of a missionary, so that's always good!
I know, crazy huh? But Trissy and I agreed it was kind of cute; and the logic worked, if you're not too picky, so Brainerd he became! :)

Mrs. H has also been wanting to loan me her incubator for quite some time so that we could hatch some chicks. So finally several weeks ago, she told me she had a neighbor who was "needing to get rid of some eggs", and said we could have them to hatch if we wanted them. So she brought about a dozen and a half to school, and her incubator, and they're supposed to hatch Tuesday!



Ok, well, I'm going to go for now. Told you this wouldn't be very long, but anyway... I'll try to post pictures of the chicks when they hatch. So long for now!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Oh I like silkys! I like the name you and Trissy piked out also :) I name things the same way!!
Oh how exciting- chicks! We have eggs in my sister's incubator too. The are not going to hatch for a little while though. Something that is going to "hatch" (be born =) today is a little lamb and a little goat so I am looking forward to that!
By the way, about that picture, you are more than welcome to use it. I have my little photography stamp on it, and if you want to you can make a link to my blog somewhere on the post you use the picture on but don't feel like you have to :)
I'm sure you know how to get it on your blog...
just click on the picture and then save it.
~Hannah