~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

All names on this blog (except for other Bloggers' names) have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals. However, each pseudonym has been chosen with care, and reflects in some way or with some meaning the character/personality of each individual.

~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~~:~

"With God, all things are possible."

-------------------------------------

Friday, July 31, 2015

Five Minute Friday : "Try"


Trissy recently introduced me to a little community of writers who participate in an exercise called "Five Minute Friday". She's started doing it on her new blog (!) and I decided to start trying to participate, though I may not make it every week. Here goes my first one!
This week's word is "try".

{Start time.}

Try. One of the first things I think of when I hear (or read) that word is a quote from a dear friend:

"There is no such thing as 'try'. There is either 'do' or 'do not'."

When I first heard it, I frowned, puzzled. I wasn't sure if I agreed with it or not. It was one of those things, "I'll have to think about that one...".

Of course there is such a thing as 'try'! If I honestly attempt to climb a mountain, read 50 books in a year, or cook a meal all by myself, I have 'tried' to do it!

But then I got to thinking, maybe there really is only 'do' or 'do not'.

Either I reached the top of the mountain, or I didn't. Either I read 50 books that year, or less. Either I got that meal on the table, or only part of it. Either I 'did' those things, or I 'did not' do them.

But lately, my mind has changed again. I think there's both. With the mountain, the books, and the meal, I really attempted to accomplish my goal. I 'tried'. That's true. So there is such a thing as 'try'.

{End time. I'm not finished with what I was saying though, so I'll keep going :) .}

'Trying' is not the goal however. Accomplishing ('doing') it is. It's the end result that has the value, and I think that is what my friend meant, the lesson he was trying (ha, no pun intended) to teach.

Yet even there, one can argue the point... If a lesson was learned in the effort, something of value did come from the 'trying'. And - "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." - maybe next time, success. And the 'try' will have become 'do'. And the 'doing' will lead to 'done'.

4 comments:

Tara Ulrich said...

Welcome to the FMF community. I have loved it from the moment I started. Great post! "Attempts are applauded!" I think that's very true. I'm parked in the #11 spot at the linkup this week.

river song said...

Hi, you're my nearest neighbor for this week's Five Minute Friday! I really like your reflections on try; seems as if in the church we sometimes focus so much on grace and gift we think we can sit back and do nothing. Grace and peace to you!

Denise said...

this was a good post.

Trissy said...

Wow! This really helped me get an understanding of what he meant! I never did grasp his meaning. :D I think I'm beginning to now. Thanks!
~your sis